It's been about a week since my last post, so you know that I've been having a hard time with proofs. However, as promised, I return bearing good(ish) news! I've been finding tutorials extremely helpful, and my TA Jason Harrison is great at explaining how to go about approaching them. I feel that with a little more practice I can master the art, and I'll eventually be able to do these things on my own. The tutorials have definitely helped my confidence, and a little more practice will hopefully help me be on my way.
We discussed Epsilon-Delta proofs in class this week...yes, Epsilon-Delta proofs. I know what you're thinking: "Is this MAT137? Did you get Ivan Katchatourian's black bushy beard confused with Danny Heap's soft silvery-gray one?!" I heard prior to taking this course that it would be wise to take it alongside MAT137 and I definitely feel like I'm reaping the benefits. After roughly breezing over what Epsilons and Delta's represented in UC140, I looked around and saw several confused faces sitting in the dimly lit room. With some slight glances at my Calculus notes, I was able to make connections between "e-d" proofs and my knowledge of Epsilon-Delta proofs in the context of limits. Exploring "e-d" proofs solidified my understanding of the calculus material, and vice-versa. I can feel the logic-side of my brain being worked at by both courses simultaneously and I've gotta say, I don't mind at all.
Did you know that "e-d" actually means "ε, δ"? SO COOL!!!!!!!!1
ReplyDeleteIsn't that cool! What do you think of using e-d instead of ε-δ. I think it's better to just use ε-δ and get used to none english letters as variable.s
ReplyDelete