Sunday, November 9, 2014

sLog Week 9: Poly(NO)mials

     This week has been a roller-coaster of stress and emotions. We had our second term test this week, and it was all about the dreaded proofs I had mentioned (and cried about) earlier. I don't want to speak too soon, but I'm pretty sure that was not my finest hour. Ivan Zhang discussed the importance of having strong first year foundations in his slog posts here , and I couldn't have found it at a better time. I know that I can't just leave these concepts behind without solidifying my knowledge of proofs as it's going to come back to haunt me sooner or later (probably sooner than later, considering finals are coming up soon). I'm definitely going to have to practice some more proofs and make sure that I understand everything before completing this course. However, the 165 Train is chugging on with or without me, so I know I can't dwell on this sub-par test for too long.

     In class we discussed asymptotic analysis concerning polynomials and it's definitely been interesting seeing how big-O proofs can help us identify run-time efficiency. I can't help but visualize concepts with graphs, and Prof. Heap has some really useful visuals and ideas to help represent these new notions. I don't know if I'm used to big-O notation with polynomials just yet, but I'm glad that Prof. Heap has a welcoming way of introducing these new ideas.

No comments:

Post a Comment