Sunday, November 23, 2014
sLog Week 11: Impossible, You Say?
Adidas, you might want to re-brand your campaign because impossible definitely is NOT nothing. Halting theory pretty much blew my mind this week because yes, some problems just cannot be solved. It's kind of amazing to think about abstract ideas like infinity, and to be able to prove that computers can be defeated. I didn't take this seriously at first - there was no way I was going to be defeated by a couple of lines of code -, so I decided to try to solve it myself. After sacrificing several precious minutes of the lecture trying to find an accurate implementation of the provided problems given on the slide. After a while, I realized that (as Danny later clearly stated), we cannot give infinity a value. My calculus professor told us at the beginning of the semester that "infinity is a place", and I've been trying to wrap my head around that idea ever since. It's interesting to come across these concepts and I really enjoy the thought-provoking content this course provides. The delicacy and elegance with which Computer Science courses are taught is one of the many reasons I love the DCS at the U of T.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Yeah, the concepts in the course are definitely interesting especially when it crosses with the concepts in math.
ReplyDeleteI am glad that you had fun learning this interesting stuff! Also, shots fired at Adidas.
ReplyDeleteI agree that the course is well-structured!
ReplyDeleteI loved the way you presented, 'Adidas, you might want to re-brand your campaign because impossible definitely is NOT nothing.' It is definitely NOT wrong to say that after this course. Good luck for the exam!
ReplyDelete